Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Moose - Up Close and Personal

For the next week or so we are staying at a lovely chalet in between Palmer and Wasilla, Alaska.  They are the Tollers' Timbers and we are staying in the chalet called, Moose Run.  We learned this evening that our temporary residence is aptly named. 
After our fun afternoon at Mirror Lake we came home with a couple pair of wet shorts.  I walked out onto our porch to hang the wet clothes out to dry.  As I looked out into the wooded area behind our place I spotted this beauty.  I am so glad I was alone and no one was filming me.  I am pretty sure I jumped and was flailing my arms to look for my camera.  I quickly called the boys outside to see this huge creature.  She was alone and was munching on the grasses and leaves no more than twenty feet away.  We were safely up on a second level balcony as we watched her.


When Adam arrived home the kids were excited to tell him about our visitor.  He asked where we saw her and when I went to point out the location, she was back!  And she had her babies!




These babies were so sweet.  They were playful and stayed close to their mama.  They would look up at us and then look at their mom for her reaction.  We were very quiet and only watched them for a few minutes.  Mamas can become quite aggressive when they feel threatened with their calves around.


Don't be silly, they are just having "Fun!"


No comments:

Post a Comment