Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Caribou, Black Bears, Bison, and Stone Sheep! Oh my!

Miles Traveled: 556 (Fort St. John, British Columbia to Watson Lake, Yukon)

We are convinced that driving through British Columbia and the Yukon is like driving through a public safari. The wildlife we saw on this portion of our journey was just extraordinary, coupled with the scenery, it made it even more phenomenal.


We were able to find a park in the town of Fort Nelson, British Columbia to have our lunch.  The park even had a playground for the kids to burn off some stored up energy.   And after listing to Nolan yell, "Me eat now, Mommeeee" repeatedly for an hour, like a broken record, over and over again, it was time we all needed!


I had to laugh at the local residents in their tank tops and swimsuits at the connected splash pad.  It was a smokin' 71 degrees outside today.





After lunch, back in the van, I had insisted that we turn the electronics off in the hopes that a nap would result from the lack of stimulation.  We did get a nap out of Nolan (thank goodness) but before any good snooze a little story is needed.

As I said at the beginning of this post we saw SO many animals on our drive.  I was amazed at how close they were to the road.
Caribou

Stone Mountain

We spotted this Black Bear meandering down the side of the road about an hour or so after lunch.  When we slowed down and pointed him out to Jack he said, "Wow!  That scared the freak out of me!"  After Adam and I wiped the tears away from laughing so hard, we explained to him that that isn't the best choice of words for a six year old.
Black Bear

Bison
Stone Sheep

Adam called out to this guy from the van window.

Wild horses

We are staying in another town that was founded as a result of the highway construction in the 1940s.  I am pretty sure that our hotel hasn't been renovated since its construction.  We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and we stuck with deep fried options for health concerns, if you get my drift.  I have a feeling that we will be on the road bright and early tomorrow.  Who wants Pop-Tarts and juice boxes for breakfast?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us a story...love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Google-mapped your location in Watson Lake and can I tell you that I had to scroll out...and out....and out....and out again just to see where in Canada that is! I'm so glad your travels are going (relatively) well! Best of luck with your new adventure! I'll be sure to check for lots of updates! :)

    ReplyDelete