Sunday, June 9, 2013

Home Sweet Home...Almost

Miles Traveled: 360 Miles (Fairbanks, Alaska to Healy, Alaska to Anchorage, Alaska on Saturday, June 8)

We started our trip to our new home with a detour through Healy, Alaska; which is the home of Denali National Park.  Hands down, it is the most beautiful place on Earth.  I was in such awe that I forgot to take pictures.  It's a good thing that it is only a two hour drive and we plan to go back in the next couple of weeks.

The drive itself was not bad; we just had an unhappy traveler.  But after 12 days on the road, I really can't blame him.  After a stern talking too and a man to man chat with Dad, our little man was road ready and was quite a trooper.  

I will be quite happy when we are settled in our new house, with our own things, and a regular schedule.  However, that may not happen for a few more weeks.  Our household goods are not scheduled to arrive until the end of the month; so this means we will be be-bopping around from hotels, to military housing, to condos the next few weeks.  Please pray that our goods arrive sooner than later and that our sanity remains intact until then.  Thank you.



Our Picnic View - Outside of Denali

We stopped in a pull off for lunch on the highway near Denali.  We didn't get a chance to eat outside this time because of the insane amount of mosquitoes.  We opened the doors quickly to get to the cooler and pass out turkey sammies and PB&Js and we had a swarm join us for our meal.  However, as we pulled away we rolled down all of the windows and blew those little buggers out!  Jack and Nolan may have had their way with a few, too.

Just south of Denali, near Cantwell, Alaska we approached a long stretch of construction.  They really can't close the highways in this area, because there are no other roads.  So at one point we drove through a mini-lake on the highway.




As we came into town we did a drive by of our new house.  We didn't stop because the owners were home packing up the place.  We will take possession soon, but as mentioned earlier, we won't be moving in until our household goods arrive.  From what I could see, Adam did a fantastic job.  Of course, the boys were thrilled with the full size trampoline they spotted in the yard.

In our journey from Macomb, Michigan to Anchorage, Alaska we drove over 5,700 miles and the terrain was not always smooth-sailing.  I wish there was a way I could take my mini van to a spa for a week to reward her for her hard work.



2 comments:

  1. So happy you have had safe travels. I looked forward to reading about each leg of your journey. You made it sound easy (with 3 kids that is a feat!!) and fun. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I got misty eyed when I read you got there safe and sound. I am so happy for you and your family. What an awesome adventure! I hope you continue to blog to keep us all in the loop on the Alaskan fun.

    Hugs to you all!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete