Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Mom, we are officially crazy!"

Today was the first day the kids and I were on our own with nothing planned.  We were able to have a quiet morning with cartoons and lots of breakfast.  I think Nolan ate three different times.

I spent the morning setting up our utility accounts in our new home.  Even though we will not move in for a couple of weeks we needed to set up everything in our names.  If I was ever to start my own business I think I would offer a service for new residents that involved making all of the phone calls and opening the new accounts for my customers.  It was quite a job and a lot of time on the phone.  You're welcome; to that motivated individual who starts this company.  I expect royalties.

After Claire's nap, we needed to take a field trip.  I was told about a nearby park, Mirror Lake, that had a sandy beach.  I thought I would take the kids to take a peek and put our toes in the chilly Alaskan water.

Mirror Lake

As we drove to Alaska, Jack asked several times if he would be able to swim outside.  We told him, "No,"  that the water would be too cold and we could find some indoor pools to swim.  While driving to Anchorage on Saturday, we saw a lake similar to Mirror Lake that was swarming with sunbathers and swimmers.  Jack loudly said, "Look at all of those crazy people who are swimming in the cold water."  Adam and I swiftly agreed with him.

A float plane landed and took off from the lake.




When the boys walked down to the beach and I realized that they were going in deeper than my "toe declaration" I gave in, took off their shirts, and sprayed them down with sun screen.  The water was muddy, cool, and they had a blast.  At one point Jack tried to catch a fish with his hands.

On our drive home Jack started laughing.  Upon asking him what was so funny he said, "Mom, we are officially crazy.  We went swimming in Alaska!"

1 comment: