Friday, August 2, 2013

Old Friends and New Memories! {Brownies with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting}

When I moved to Alaska, I hoped that we would have visitors.  I know it is expensive and a lot of travel is involved in getting here, but it's a magical place that everyone needs to experience at least once.  And I recommend you do it in the next three to four years.

Surprisingly a dear old friend from high school got in touch with me and let me know that she and her family were coming to Anchorage for a family wedding and she wanted to get together.  I had not seen this girl in well over ten years and it amazed me that Alaska would be the place for our reunion.

Jack and Nolan, being silly and beautiful Jackie.
                                           

Let me give you some background.  Leslie, in a way, was a mentor for me.  She was two years older then me and she could drive.  We used to joke that my butt made an indentation in her car seat, because she drove me everywhere.  She offered me priceless advice: like how to keep your hands from sweating when holding hands with a guy you had a major crush on.  How would I know things like this?  If it wasn't for her?

So on their last night in Alaska they came over for dinner.  I was a nervous wreck before they arrived and was pacing.  However, as soon as she walked up the drive and gave me a hug, it was like we were back in Oak Harbor.  Her daughter is mini-version of her mama and the boys had so much fun with her. We had grilled chicken wings, pizza on the grill, and these babies: Brownies with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting.

Recipe Adapted from the files of my Mom

Brownie Layer

Melt together in a heavy saucepan:
   1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
   1 Square Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
   3/4 Cup Butter
   1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
Stir together well.  Then remove pan from burner.  Let cool slightly.
Mix in:
   1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
   4 Eggs, Beating in each well with your spoon
   1 Cup Flour
   1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
   1/4 Tsp Salt
   3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans

Spread into a greased 13x9 inch pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a tester comes out clean in several places.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.  TIP: After greasing the pan line with parchment paper with two ends that overextend the pan.  It makes for easy removal, spreading of frosting, and cutting.

Cookie Dough Layer

In a mixing bowl, cream together:
   3/4 Cup Softened Butter
   3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
   Scant 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (about 2 tablespoons less)
Mix in:
   1/4 Cup Milk
   2 Tsp Vanilla
Gradually Add:
   1 1/4 Cups Flour
Stir in:
   1 Cup (or more) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Drop cookie dough on the cooled brownie layer and carefully spread evenly.  (Clean hands coated with cooking spray can help spread the dough without tearing the brownies.)  Cut into bars of any size you prefer.  Refrigeration is not needed.  

Serve with a cold glass of milk, trust me, you'll need it!

   




No comments:

Post a Comment