Sunday, July 14, 2013

White Beans & Ham (Slowcooker Recipe)

I can't get over how good this made my house smell.  I know that you are not supposed to take the lid off of the crock while it is cooking, but I could not resist.

Now this recipe would be an awesome rib sticking meal after Easter or any holiday when you have a left over ham bone.  We just moved, our freezer is empty, and their is no ham bone in sight.  So I made due with chopped, pre-packaged ham from the deli section.  

This recipe is so easy and I owe thanks to Plain Chicken for its creation.  I did modify it slightly to suite our tastes.  We love Cumin and probably could have added more.  And if we had hot sauce in our fridge, I know Adam would have doused his.




Slow Cooker White Beans & Ham

1 Pound Bag Dried Great Northern Beans
1 Pound Chopped Ham
6 Cups Water
2 TBS Onion Powder
1 Tsp. Cumin
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Hot Sauce (for serving)

Rinse and peek through beans for any funky looking ones and remove.  Add the beans, ham, water, onion powder, cumin, and garlic powder to the crock.  I use a crock pot liner, which makes clean up SOOO much easier.  Cook on low for 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.  Serve with fresh corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment